Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Christians hate themselves

The other day I brought my friend (a recent M.Div. from Yale) to my church. After a less violent sermon than usual from Pastor J, I asked her what she thought. She goes, "Everyone at your church hates themselves!" Indeed, they do. My church is chalk full of people crying and holding each other and praying for each other and guilt building and who knows what else in EVERY SINGLE service. Heck, this sort of drama is potential in almost every time the church folk get together. Don't get me wrong, I do love all the emotion, but I hadn't thought of it as hating ourselves. My friend made perfect sense, and it seemed messed up how that really is the case.

Humility is good and all, but I don't think Jesus came so that we would constantly beat ourselves up over how we are lowly, unworthy, worthless, sinful, impossible, frustrating, annoying, evil, selfish, wormlike, mischievous, messed up, failing, horrible, unlovable, horrid, time-consuming, arrogant, ignorant, prideful, fearful, lazy, busy, irreverent, blaspheming, hypocrite, piles of doodoo! Yeah, no.

I am way too good at listing those things. Look what church can do for YOU!

1 comment:

 

yasmin side effects