Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Some Psychology Class Annoyances


I started classes yesterday, and in every class I was reminded why I love and hate psychology so much.

1. Professors not allowing laptops in class.

Okay, I can sort of understand this, but I feel like I am being prejudged. Pretty much every professor uses their laptop in class, and they have a powerpoint, and I like to use my laptop to take notes on the powerpoint! In addition to this, laptops are useful for clarifying information without disrupting the class. And regardless of whether the lappy is in front of me or not, I am not going to pay attention any better if I am bored, tired, or the lecture is bad.

2. The same examples used over and over again!!!!!!

Pretty much in every class there is the stupid pictures of the goblet and faces, and old and young woman, and the professor says something cryptic to the effect of, "Things are not always as they appear..."

Lastly and most importantly:
3. Dumb Questions.

There is always that one person in that one class who annoys the hell out of everyone else with their DUMB QUESTIONS, and it seems like they are all concentrated in the field of psychology... And since there is such a concentration of dumb question askers, there are less people to annoy by the dumb questions, and instead each dumb question creates an opportunity for another dumb question to be asked.

Okay, okay, maybe I am being really judgmental, but for those of you who do not know what a dumb question is, this is how I define it. A dumb question is a question that is asked after the professor just explained the answer of the question, and oftentimes a dumb question can be asked right before the professor gets to the answer (i.e. impatience). The former is much more annoying than the latter, I think. Yesterday, I was amazed at how many times my professor had to say "This will all be explained when Prof. So-and-so comes." But then students continued to ask questions about it, and be like, "Duh, I don't get it..." People! Pay attention! Be patient!

Another category of dumb question is the millions of questions that students ask about assignments and tests. "Do I do it this way or this way?" "Is this going to be on it?" "Do you want this?" Some of these are okay, but in the psych world it just seems ridiculously excessive. Agh stupid people!!!!

In the meantime, I think classes are going to go well. I miss theology class, but I may run to be president of the theology school, so that will keep me nice and close and in control-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin side effects